Monday, July 25, 2011

Wilting, wading, and Waldo'ing

We've been in the midst of a heatwave that slowly built up over the last week.  The hottest day was a balmy 38 degrees celsius with a humidex of 48!  Needless to say, it was a little warm. 

I have mentioned before that I don't do well in the cold.  Unfortunately for me, I don't do well in the heat, either.  I know, I know.  It's annoying.  Just call me a human chihuahua.
This week has been trying, to say the least.  I've been doing my best to not complain, seeing as I hate winter more than any heatwave, so I've been doing my best to beat the heat.  Here's what I suggest:

1.  Invest in a good water bottle that keeps ice from melting quickly.
My friend, Bridget, got a water bottle from a little eco-store in our area called the Ninty-ninth Monkey.  It's from a company called ThinkSport and it's AMAZING.
 I can put ice and water in it first thing in the morning and still have icy water late at night.  Plus, there's bonus points from your nephrologist if you plunk it down on her desk with a loud, unintentional clang.  She couldn't miss it..  it's huge.  See?  I DO take care of my kidney :-P

2.  Get a 10 foot inflatable pool for your backyard.
I didn't think I'd like it at all since it's not heated, but 35+ temperatures took care of that.  It's a great way to cool off, even if my dad now feels sympathy for killer whales in theme park pools.

3.  Break down and finally swim in the giant lake that's on your doorstep.
This weekend I officially became the person I used to be flabbergasted by.  I used to go down to the Lake Ontario waterfront all the time, and think that the people who were swimming in it were crazy/insane/loco.  But this weekend I didn't care.  When the humidex is soaring in the 40s, all logic goes out the window.  And it was FUN.  I felt like a kid again.  (Even with the nuclear power plant being RIGHT BESIDE us)

Another thing we did this weekend was WHERE'S WALDO?  My friend, Jon, bought a Waldo suit, so we went around getting some WHERE'S WALDO? type of photos.  We got stopped in a grocery store due to "policy violations" but it didn't hamper our fun.  I won't post any of the photos since it's going to be a surprise.  It was funny to watch him marching around trying to find good shots, though.  Eric tailed him closely, much like the theme park costumed characters with their bodyguards.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

hehe, nice post! :o)