Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Where are the birds?

In my backyard at home in Canada, there are about 4 bird feeders.. so the backyard is always filled with birds. Sparrows, goldfinches, juncos, cardinals, hummingbirds, etc!

Welllll.. here.. I've heard birds only twice. And both times I couldn't see them, so they may have been pets because they were in people's gardens.

BUT, there is one bird here that I really like. I first saw one last week.. I was walking to work and passing a house when I heard a scratching sound. I looked up, and there was this crow-like bird.. only it wasn't just black. It was black, with bluish highlights like a grackel, and a white chest with some white wing feathers. And he was industriously pulling insulation out from around a windowpane.. haha. Gotta love the crow family :)

Anyway, I found out it was a European magpie.. the Pica pica. And I saw one again this morning outside my window.. and again, ripping apart the building across from mine. People must love these birds :)
Update: Oh! These birds are a symbol of luck over here.. so I guess they ARE loved :D
(and black crows are "evil"... very bad sign)

No comments: