Monday, August 9, 2010

Babies, babies, and more babies

My friend's wife just had a baby a couple weeks ago.  She's beautiful.  And I don't say that lightly.  I think most newborns are squashy and slightly non-human looking.  So I'll usually exclaim, "Oh, wow, she's so small!" or "Look at those tiny little feet!  How precious!".  So for me to say this baby is beautiful means that it's the truth.

I was looking at pictures of her online, and noticed that I don't have that hard-to-ignore type of yearning that a woman my age is "supposed" to feel.  That's not to say that I don't want kids.  But all things have their time, right?  And right now is not the time for children for me.

I was again creeping online and saw some wedding anniversary congratulations for a girl I've met.  Two years today!  That's nice news :)  But the last congratulatory note had this tacked onto it: "It's been long enough now!  Time for babies!"

um..

I know that it's an age-old practice for older women to tease younger brides about having children, but in today's day and age you should be a little more careful about doing that.  I can think of several friends of mine, some even younger than me, and also myself included who have medical conditions which may or may not hinder future fertility.  I'm sure they get teased often about not procreating fast enough because heaven knows they've been married long enough!  What if they're already trying to start their fairytale family and and feeling heartbreak month after month?  Why rub salt into the wound?  I mean, society has always dictated that all women are happiest when they are bearing and raising children.  And let's not forget that biological clock that keeps on ticking whether you've already conceived or not.

Have a little courtesy, people.

No comments: