Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My doggies

I'm an animal person.  I've always been one.  This is probably because my parents always gave me pets when I was younger.  I've had almost every rodent there is, a variety of birds, cats, and dogs.  (I have not owned any reptiles, however..  maybe because they don't seem very cuddly).


I currently have 2 rats and 2 dogs.  Unfortunately, my dogs live with my parents and sister.  Since they are family pets, I couldn't exactly take them with me when I got married.  Soooo, I have visiting rights.  My hubby and I sometimes come by on a Saturday to pick them up.  They love car rides, so they are very excited when I ask them if they want to come.  Then we'll take them to the petstore, the dog park, or a friend's house.  They aren't too fond of the last one, unfortunately.  My friends have a 4 1/2 month old chocolate lab who was very fond of biting and barking in the beginning, which my middle-aged dogs didn't find too amusing.  My Jack Russell, Gus, has now developed a dislike of all chocolate labs as a result, which makes him kind of racist (oops!)

My Poodle-Chihuahua mix, Charlie, is the older of the two.  He's the mastermind of the operation.  Gus is Pinky and Charlie is definitely the Brain.  If there is some scheming underway, it's always Charlie who is doing it.  He's highly intelligent, and can think out plans from A to Z.  He's never cold because he covers himself with his blankets, only comes if there's something in it for him, and manipulates everyone around him (especially Gus).  But he's a softie, so he gets off with it.
 Charlie Barley

Gus, on the other hand, is a little slow.  We took him to the vet when we got him, and asked her point blank if he was okay.  She told us that there was a chance that he suffered from a lack of oxygen during birth, but not to worry, because he makes up for it in enthusiasm and love.  That pretty much sums him up..  Slow-witted, Enthusiastic, and Loving.  We got him because of Charlie's fear of life in general, hoping that Gus' rambunctiousness would rub off.  And it has!  With the unfortunate side effect of Gus becoming slightly Chihuahua during the transition.
 Gus "I'm gonna be BAD"

They're loads of fun.  Everyone should have at least one dog to spoil :)

 Scheming & Plotting

7 comments:

R said...

Ahhh! I love your doggies! They are so cute! :)

I love the last picture the most! ^_^

HennyPenny said...

thanks :D I do too!

Yeah, the last picture makes me laugh. I'm not sure what they were doing.. probably trying to hide bones and toys from each other!

Jumble Mash said...

Awe!! I love that last photo...absolutely adorable!

I have a 4 year old black lab and let me tell you he is the most spoiled thing on the planet! I rescued him when he was just a pup and he's been by my side ever since. Between moving and break-ups, my dog has been the only thing permanent in my life.

I completely agree-everyone should spoil at least one dog.

HennyPenny said...

Aw, that's awesome, Jumble Mash :) There are loads of dogs that need homes these days. It always makes me happy to hear that somebody adopted one (or three.. I do think they're an addiction of sorts)

What's your dog's name?

Jumble Mash said...

His name is Bowen. Which oddly enough means something like "Golden hair." LOL And he is black as night. I didn't know that before hand.

Bridget said...

hahah - can't say I blame him. Poor Gus. Love that last pic of them under the couch - very cute!

HennyPenny said...

I love that photo too. Makes me smile every time :)