Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yellow Smog

Those are mountains in the background.. yeah, behind the first one :)

A warning to all those who are new to Korea. Every spring brings yellow smog. Smog, you say? I can handle smog. Ah, but no. This is different.

I was getting ready to go to work a couple years ago in the spring when my husband called to warn me that it was a smog day. He told me to wear a good mask and only go outside to get to work.. no shopping, etc.
I had heard about this yellow cloud, but hadn't seen it for myself.

This cloud of smog travels over from China on the wind currents. As it travels, it picks up pollutants from cities and factories, dust from the desert, and grows it's own brand of bacteria along the way. People that carelessly breathe it in can develop respiratory problems. As I'm asthmatic, I thought the mask would be a good idea.

Fortunately, masks are considered a fashion item as well as a necessity in Korea. So if you don't want to look like you just escaped from a hospital, you can find a funny one to wear instead :)

No comments: