Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why was it so good??

Wanna know one of the best and worst parts of travelling to other countries?

Finding something you love.

I was lying here on my couch watching "Outsourced" when I got the munchies.  And the first thing that came to mind was a Korean snack that I ate quite a bit of while I was over there.  I guess you could call them chips.  They were thin, crunchy potato sticks that came in two flavours:  red and green.  I guessed that one was plain and the other a little onion-y.  The onion one was so good that I'd find excuses to eat them.  I think what made me love them so much was not the flavour, but the crunchiness.  They were crunchy enough to be annoying to other people, but not hard enough that they would break your teeth.  MMm.. love.
But guess what?  I have not seen them since leaving.  Nor does my husband remember what they are called.  I have not heard of any currently-in-Korea bloggers talking about them, nor have I seen them on any food websites.  So that's what makes it the worst part of finding something you love.

I also fell in love with this particular scent of Johnson&Johnson's baby powder called "Blossoms".  I have a small bottle that I brought over with me that I only put on on special occasions.  Every time I use it, I get an explosion of memories of my husband's grandmother's house where I was staying.  It is also hard to find online.  BUT, the good news is that my husband's cousin just came here from Korea and he brought me five bottles!  Enough to last for a long time!  I even gave two bottles to my mom and sister.  But now I'm half afraid that if I over-use it, I'll lose the memories associated with it.
aw grandma :)

There was also an excellent restaurant that my roommate and I would frequent late at night.  It's called Country Chicken (촌닭) and it is so good.  Crispy chicken bites and rice cakes in sticky hot sauce.  Served with white rice to take the edge off of the heat.  Delicious!  My husband has made this for me a few times, but there's something about the real deal.  I miss it!


Do you have anything that you would LOVE to have right now but it's unavailable where you are?
Ah, enough reminiscing already.  Time for bed!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
My amazing Sherlock Holmes husband found that snack.  He has never heard of it nor seen it before.
It's called 눈을 감자 - Let us close our eyes.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

sometimes I think about those buried treasure ice cream Popsicles from our childhood. it's weird because I don't really like ice cream but they were really yummy! :o)

Bridget said...

ohhh yum - I remember that Stacy, but I don't remember what they were called. I used to love the little holes it would leave when you sucked out the treasure.

Sometimes I miss this snack that I grew up with - it was a fried wagon-wheel shaped chip-like product....but spicy!

FreeFlying said...

Yes! In Egypt, I would eat persimmons all the time. Sometimes they have them hear in Trader Joe's or someplace like that, but they're never the same. I love those things!

rachel... said...

A few years ago, I bought a bag of caramel apple flavored Sun Chips and they were the most delicious thing I've ever had in my life. I've never been able to find them since. Also, Cran Vanilla Crunch cereal. YUM. They might still make it, but I haven't been able to find it in forever. :(

Stacy said...

Oooouuu! Sunchips make amazing unique flavours and then it turns out to be for only one region of the world/ country.

HennyPenny said...

Stacy - Wow! I totally forgot about Buried Treasure... Mmm. That's childhood right there. Apparently Chapman's makes a flavour called Mandarin Orange Frozen Yogurt that tastes identical.. no toy, though!

Bridget - That sounds super tasty :) Have you ever seen them sold in Canada?

FreeFlying - My husband complains everytime he sees a persimmon in the grocery store.. "They're not the same!!"

rachel... - I feel your pain! When I was a kid, Sunchips had a flavour called Garden Tomato & Cheese. I swear I ate a bag of those a day for a year.

Bridget said...

Unfortunately I've never seen them...but i think I might get my parents to bring some when they come soon.

FreeFlying said...

p.s. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

HennyPenny said...

No problem. I hope it was great :)